Saturday, July 4, 2009

I've Seen.

Land of the free. Home of the brave. Well. Maybe.

We, as a country, are free. But not the freedom You intended. Too many girls are slaves to the culture. Too many girls are slaves to their friends. Too many girls are slaves of their families.

I've seen girls pushed to perfection by family and friends. Only to end up broken and defeated.
I've seen girls wishing they were dead. And I've seen some who try to make it happen.
I've seen girls starving themselves to look like the girls in the magazines. And maybe catch a boys attention.
I've seen girls cut their own flesh to feel something. Anything.
I've seen girls take endless amounts of diet pills to keep her boyfriend happy. And to stop her own father from making fun of her weight.
I've seen girls start to drink at age 14 because "everyone" was doing it.
I've seen girls hide their faith to keep a few friends. I've seen those friends leave.
I've seen girls unloved by their family because her parents are caught up in their own mess.
I've seen girls who never heard I love you from their dad. And have sought other boys instead.
I've seen girls who can't look in the mirror. Afraid of what they might see.
I've seen girls feel hopelessly unbeautiful because that's how their mothers were.
I've seen girls shrivel into nothing because that's all they've ever been treated as.
I've seen girls lose all convictions and morals just to feel some sort of love. Any love. From a boy.

I know it breaks Your heart, Lord, because it's breaking mine. I was some of these girls once. Before I saw the hope in You. Now, I know some of these girls far too well. And I've seen too many like them. Land of the free? More like Land of the Captives. Lord, but You know it doesn't have to be this way. If parents would only see the weight they carry in their children's lives. Things could be different. I long for that. I pray for that.

Where are the fathers willing to openly show their love? The mothers to be a guide? Where are the willing ones? The brave ones? We are losing a generation to the slavery of culture. To the power of sin. Home of the brave? Home of the broken.

So now here we are. Land of the Captives. Home of the Broken. Lord. How did this happen? Only a mighty work from Your hand can save us. The further we slip from Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, the closer to compete destruction we get. Restore us, O Lord. Show us Your will. Show us Your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment